|Therapeutic Area||Formulary Choices||Cost for 28|
(unless otherwise stated)
|Rationale for decision / comments|
|11.8 Miscellaneous ophthalmic preparations|
|Dry eyes:||Hypromellose||0.3% drops £1.21 (10ml)|
0.5% drops: £0.81 (10ml)
1% drops: £0.94 (10ml)
|Treatment for dry eyes associated with tear deficiency should normally commence with the least viscous agent e.g. Hypromellose 0.3% drops and work through alternatives in increasing order of viscosity.|
as Evolve Hypromellose®
|0.3% drops: £1.98 (10ml)||Treatment for dry eyes associated with tear deficiency in patients who have sensitivity to benzalkonium chloride. Drops last 3 months from first opening. Suggest patients writes date of opening and expiry inside lid of box.|
Management of Dry Eye Syndrome in Primary Care
The condition cannot be cured but symptoms may be relieved and deterioration stopped by simple tear-replacement treatment.
Self-care options may be sufficient to avoid the need for treatment.
- Eyelid hygiene to control the blepharitis that most people with dry eye syndrome have.
- Limiting the use of contact lenses, if these cause irritation.
- Stopping medication that exacerbates dry eyes, such as topical and systemic antihistamines.
- Using a humidifier to moisten ambient air.
- If smoking tobacco, stopping smoking may help
- If using a computer for long periods, ensure that the monitor is at or below eye level, avoid staring at the screen, and take frequent breaks to close/blink eyes.
- Consider the effects of other medications, e.g Preservatives in topical eye medications, antihistamines, tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Consider underlying medical and surgical conditions associated with dry eye syndrome, for example: allergic conjunctivitis, Sjögren’s syndrome, facial or trigeminal neuropathy, herpes zoster affecting the eye, chronic dermatoses of eyelids, previous ocular or eyelid surgery, trauma, radiation therapy, burns.
If there is an underlying condition (suspected or known) that can cause dry eyes, consider referral for specialist assessment if that condition is not normally managed in primary care
Dry eye symptoms can usually be managed satisfactorily with lubricant and lipid tear supplement eye drops and lifestyle changes.
Patients may require more frequent use of tear supplements and/or use of a more viscous product.
Symptoms may include some degree of blurred vision and sensitivity to light and could result in restricted activities.
|Product Type||Preservative content||Cost||Formulary Choices|
|First line options for mild to moderate symptoms|
|Hypromellose 0.3% 10ml or
Hypromellose 0.5% 10ml as Isopto Plain TM
|Preservative- free||£1.98||Evolve Hypromellose 0.3% preservative-free 1 x10ml|
|Second line options|
|Carbomer||Contain preservatives||£1.49||Clinitas Carbomer gel 1x10g|
|Preservative-free||£5.42||Viscotears Carbomer 0.2% (30 x 0.6ml unit dose)|
|Sodium Hyaluronate||Contain preservatives||£2.97||Blink Intensive Tears 0.2% 1x10ml|
|INFREQUENT USE: Evolve HA (sodium hyaluronate 0.2%) 1x10ml
FREQUENT USE : Ocusan 0.2% (20x 0.5ml resealable single use drops each containing 12 drops)
|Carmellose||Evolve carmellose is preservative free but is cost-effective option for all||
(Use for up to 90 days)
|Evolve Carmellose 0.5% 1x10ml|
(Use for up to 90 days)
|INFREQUENT USE: Evolve Carmellose 0.5% 1x10ml
|Polyvinyl alcohol||Contain preservatives||£1.06||Snotears 1.4% 1x10ml|
|Preservative-free||£2.25||Refresh Ophthalmic 1.4% 30×0.4ml|
|Propylene Glycol||Contain preservatives||£4.66
|Systane 0.2% 1x10ml
|Systane preservative-free single unit doses (28)
Systane Ultra preservative-free single unit doses (30)
|Liquid paraffin||Contain preservatives
Xailin Night 5g preservative free
|Acetylcisteine||Contain preservatives||£14.93||Ilube 5% 1 x 10ml|